Friday, October 1, 2004

"Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice! Let your gentle spirit be known to all men. The Lord is near."

Today I'm feeling thankful for my friends. Our MT did a thing for a couple of weeks called "secret saints" (basically, you have a person you secretly encourage). We usually do it around Valentine's Day, but Kels thought we could all use some encouragement now.



Okay, half the fun is trying to figure out who has you. But, I guessed who had me after one day. (It was David, and he borrowed my car one day to go to Hobby Lobby. The next day there was a framed verse on my desk. Hmmmm...anyway, he did a super, wonderful, great job. Thanks! *wink* and a *smile*)



We officially "revealed" ourselves this past Wednesday. I found out that for a week David been sending e-mails that went into my junk mail folder. If you're not in my contacts, you go into the junk folder. I glace through them for "real" messages and delete the rest. (Okay, if you saw "Cupid's Competition" as the "from" and the title of the e-mail was "This is just the beginning" wouldn't you delete it?)



Anyway....I deleted all this encouragement without knowing it! David was so sad I didn't get them because he put a lot of thought and effort into making me know I was loved and appreciated. It made me wonder how many times a day God means to encourage us and we just count it as junk. Has someone showed you an act of kindness, smiled or waved hello, called you, e-mailed you, brought you a gift, make time for you, laughed or cried with you....all those are from GOD! He is using all of us to speak directly to the needs of others. How sad he must be when he finds we've not received them. So you don't miss it, here is some encouragement from God for you today.



(David has been resending me the lost encouragement e-mails. I wanted to share today's with you. It encouraged me. ) Here is what he sent:



Paul said in his letter to the Philippian church, "Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice! Let your gentle spirit be known to all men. The Lord is near."



This verse offers so much encouragement. Why should we rejoice? Even when my roommates are stuck up brats? Even when the people around me demand for more of me when I feel I am running on empty? Is it possible to rejoice when I am sick, or when I have chores to do, or when I am stuck in Norman traffic on Lindsey Street? Does Paul really mean always rejoice? Well sure, why not. After all, what is Paul's reason for his continual rejoicing in the Lord? The simple fact that God is near. He goes through those traffic jams, broken hearts, down-and-out days; when the world seems to be ignoring our needs, God reminds us that He is always faithful and He is always near. I think that is something to feel encouraged about, don't you?



I was encouraged. Not only by this Word from God (via David), but I was greatly thankful for friends like Him who care about me. I am surrounded by friends. But it doesn't stop there. God is near. Wow. The Host of the Heavens is here with me and with you!



Thanks. I love you all. And as Strap would say... "Never surrender!"





No comments:

Post a Comment