Monday, July 7, 2008

Loss Again

This weekend was something. Two losses of people within my circle of friends. Two dear Christian brothers going to be with the Lord.

I am still overwhelmed by how much grief has changed me these past 2.5 months. It is hard to explain how much more I empathize with those who are going through a loss. And it's even harder to explain how their loss brings my own loss of my Dad back home to my heart fresh and new again.

Yesterday as I discussed this with friends, a quote came to mind. This quote has been a favorite of mine for a long time, but it seems to come back to me in times like this.

"A great many things in God's divine providences do not look to the eye like goodness. But faith sits before mysteries such as these, and says, 'The Lord is good, therefore all that He does must be good no matter how it looks. I can wait for His explanations.'" -Hannah Whitall Smith from "The God of All Comfort"

It brings some comfort in knowing these losses were not a surprise to the Almighty God. He knew the number of days each of these people were to live on this earth. Not only did He know, He rejoiced in seeing those He loved so dear.

He has purposes far above my understanding. It doesn't numb or remove the pain knowing this. But it does encourage me to take my weary, beaten-up heart to Jesus; to rest in His strength and security; to hide in His safe tower; and to wait for His explanations.

No comments:

Post a Comment