Monday, September 11, 2006

Remembering

Well, it's been five years now.

Today I was thinking about where I was on September 11 when I heard about the world trade center crashes. I was not yet working at the BSU yet, but rather, Boise Cascade Office Products. I was on the team on the far corner of the building, which I loved. It was quieter and more private over there. So much so, the guy in the cubicle in front of me would listen to his radio during work. He heard it announced on the radio, and at that time we didn't know it was on purpose. It seemed like an accident.....until the second plane.

Before long most of the several-hundred person office was in the break room watching the TVs. After about an hour, we were actually sent home from work.....I have never heard of that thing happening before. I guess they figured we wouldn't work much with this going on. Plus, we were a national company and it affected the company everywhere--even Norman, Oklahoma. And I watched TV, like the rest of the world, for the rest of the day and days to follow.

That day reminded me so much of the OKC bombing in the shock of watching history unfold in front of your eyes. It's like the Kennedy assassination, too, I guess. They say everyone remembers where they were and what they were doing on that day too.

We never know when a normal day will turn into a historical day. We never know when we might be touched by acts of violence like this. We never know when our time here on earth is over. We never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment