Monday, November 7, 2005

"Break Fast" anyone?


Ronnie has been talking about this a lot lately as he is covering Biblical family units. I totally agree with everything he says and have always argued with friends about dating non-Christians. But what if he/she is a Christian? This issue seems to get sticker when you start to talk about being "equally yoked" in the level of Christian maturity.

I think that coming from a training ministry such as the OU BSU, the standards of living and Christian service are higher than the typical church-goer. Ask anyone outside of the bubble how hard it is to find a church that teaches discipleship like we know it, or find a group of believers with a vision to intentionally reproduce. It is rare to say the least.

So, what does this look like--meeting and dating people outside of the typical OU BSU realm? Because someone has never been exposed to the ideas of discipleship I have, do I discount him? What expectations are realistic and what are legalistic? How much time do you put into finding out if he/she is on the same page?

No, there is no one in particular I am thinking of, so all of you calm down. :) It is just that as I get older I hear my married/dating friends talk about setting me up with this guy or that. Some lower the standards to "single and Christian" while others say "he's not good enough for you" to every guy around. How do you walk the line between these two extremes?

There is not alterial motive except to hear your thoughts. I don't really know what I think about it, just wanted some other's feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment