Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Not in the Eye of the Beholder

I love make-over shows. I don't know why or how a new outfit, haircut, and some make-up tips can change people's lives so quickly, but it does. I got a haircut last night and love it (for once). We all go through times when a new outfit, our hair or something outward makes us feel good.

Many times, attractiveness is what the world uses to judge us worthy or not. I was thinking of Jesus and how He went against even that standard. In Isaiah 53:2 it says of the coming Jesus, "He grew up before him like a tender shoot, and like a root out of dry ground. He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him, nothing in his appearance that we should desire him."

Hmm. Isn't that interesting? NOTHING in his appearance would attract us or make it so we desire Him. I don't know about you, but that makes me a little uncomfortable. I always imagine Jesus as looking kind, gentle, handsome even. Yet, scripture teaches that there was nothing attractive about him at all.

I think it is easy for me to imagine the disciples following Jesus when I think of him as a handsome, commanding figure. But unattractive? Wow, God knows the hearts of men. He knew if Jesus looked like Brad Pitt, people would be attracted to Jesus looks not His true power.

In 1 Samuel 16:7 it says, "Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."

How many times do I do this to people? They are attractive, I assume they are a good person or worthy or talented, or whatever. Maybe they aren't a super-model or dress that great, but they are an amazing person of God. I need reminding of that.

(And this is a free tip for all you single people out there. Let your desire be that theperson you date/marry be that his/her character is greater than their looks. In other words, do people talk about your significant other's looks or what kind of woman/man they are? Okay, I am done nosing around!)

Disclaimer: This is not intended to say or imply that looking good, being well dressed and groomed, or attractive is evil, bad, or less holy. Simply what is your measuring stick with people--is it their appearance or their heart?

No comments:

Post a Comment