Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Ten Years Later

This post is going to date me. Ten years ago today I was a senior in high school. I didn't have class until second hour, which started around 9:30 or so, if I remember correctly. Back then my dad and I would share the car, so he would come home each morning from work to take me to school.Baylee

On April 19, 1995 he came in earlier than normal, so I was still getting ready for school. He turned on the TV and watched as I gathered my stuff. I remember walking into the living room and seeing what was on TV and trying to reconcile in my mind what it meant and what was going on. The bombing had just happened and news crews were just getting on the scene.

We watched until I had to go to school. I remember being captivated by the events and it seemed like time stood still that day. I was the first one at my school that knew what had happened. I went to the office and told them, and the news quickly spread throughout my little school.

My first class was a history class where I was a TA (teacher’s aid). We turned on the TV and watched. The rest of the day we sat in class and watched.

We had some band members in OKC that day--in the Myriad. They heard and felt the blast, but everyone was okay. No one I knew personally was killed on that day, but I remember thinking I was witnessing history. I can’t believe it has been ten years.

No comments:

Post a Comment